Classified Print Add to favorites Tell a friend Number of times listing has been viewed: 5151
Versatile Performance Mare. Ride or breed.
16.2 Quality bay warmblood mare bred by Ponderosa Stud. Age 11.
Ruby is a level headed confident horse trained in all elementary dressage movements with the added bonus of established clean consistent flying changes and very happily jumps over 1m with scope to go higher. She has experience successfully competing in dressage, show jumping, eventing and led and ridden show horse classes. She has had 1 foal to frozen semen, foaled down without any dramas and has been a great first time mum. Her foal has proven to be friendly, quiet and a fast and willing learner.
Ruby could be used to breed lovely dressage horses or stunning show hunter hacks or galloways if crossed with smaller stallions such as German Riding Ponies.
Ruby is currently offered to the market at the significantly reduced price of $12 for a quick sale as she has been out of work since early 2020 due to my pregnancies and her pregnancy and she wants to jump while I want to focus on dressage. Her foal has recently been weaned. She is currently rugged, on hard feed, recently drenched and just had a dental done. Her price will increase substantially if bought back into work.
Ruby has always been excellent to handle on the ground for breeding work, general vet work and to saddle, clip, rug, trim/ shoe, worm, wash etc and loads and travels well on straight and angle load floats and trucks alone or with others.
When in work she was fantastic to take out happily standing at the float, didn’t require lunging and actually really lifted in an atmosphere being very soft and responsive to aids without being hot.
Ruby lives on a grain farm with children and accordingly is accustomed to everything from children playing and bicycles to large loud machinery, low flying planes, trucks, power tools and the like and has always handled it without a fuss both when in the paddock and when being ridden.
Like many good horses she does have her quirks to be aware of as follows:
- She does not get the concept of lunging but frankly has also not really needed it.
- She will paw when waiting to unload at a destination and will occasionally rush off. But once off the float or truck settles almost immediately. It is just anxiety to see where she is.
- Ruby loves to jump. If you fail to include at least some regular jumping in her work program you will risk her becoming sour.
- When coming back into work she has historically tested to see if she does indeed need to move forward off the leg. This has generally meant being sluggish off the leg and doing some bunny hopping (repeated small rears) to test her rider. So long as this is handled correctly she moves past it and it has then no longer been an issue once she is back in regular work. If not handled correctly by a confident capable rider it could however become an issue. I can provide a suitable contact for a trainer if you do not wish to handle this phase yourself.
- When in work she will let you know if she feels you have used too much leg with a cow kick or pig root. So long as you have the skill to sit it and push her through it she will then get on with the job. If you don’t have the skill and confidence she is not the horse for you to be riding.
- She has a couple of missing front incisor teeth, partly hereditary and one was surgically removed due to a fracture in the tooth. The abnormalities with her incisor teeth do not impact her ability to graze effectively nor do they impact when riding. She has a lovely soft mouth and has been ridden consistently in a soft double jointed snaffle for all work including show jumping and cross country. A vet report on her teeth will be provided to serious buyers.
Ruby is a quality talented horse with a wealth of training and life experience waiting to be enjoyed by her next partner. Located between Wagga and Albury NSW. As she is being offered out of work no test rides but you are welcome to come and meet her. Additional video is available to those interested enough to discuss the horse on the phone. Vet checks welcome. If genuinely interested please phone me on 0408 634 638. No holds and no payment plans. Please do not enquire unless you have a suitable level of skill, experience and funds available.
Beauty and the Huntress
Kathryn Mitsch Photography